A cortisol test is done to measure the level of the hormone cortisol in the blood, which may indicate problems with the adrenal glands or pituitary gland It’s your body’s main stress hormone. It works with certain parts of your brain to control your mood, motivation, and fear.
cortisol plays an important role in a number of things your body does. For example, it:
- Manages how your body uses carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Keeps inflammation down
- Regulates your blood pressure
- Increases your blood sugar (glucose)
- Controls your sleep/wake cycle
- Boosts energy so you can handle stress and restores balance afterward
WHO IS THIS TEST FOR?
This test is for anyone wanting a check their cortisol levels to assess adrenal function.
If you have any results out of the normal range we recommend you consult a doctor just to be sure that everything is ok.